3 Scary Problems That Can Occur With the HVAC System This Halloween

Beware of These Frightening HVAC Problems!

Halloween is just around the corner, so it’s time to get into the spirit of the spooky season with scary movies, ghoulish decorations, and creepy costumes. But while it can be lots of fun to revel in the scares that come from TV screens and rubber masks, most will agree that real-life scares aren’t quite as enjoyable. And as it turns out, some of the scariest things homeowners can face may be coming from the heart of their own house – the heating system.

This article will discuss three problems that can occur with heating and cooling systems that are scarier than any fictional boogeyman and their signs to help homeowners stay safe this Halloween and beyond.

Carbon Monoxide Leak

detectorsA carbon monoxide leak is arguably the most insidious and dangerous problem that can occur with a heating system. CO leaks are often caused by an incorrectly calibrated pilot light, faulty burner, leaky exhaust chimney, or other malfunctions with a gas or oil-burning furnace. However, they can also be caused by other fuel-burning appliances like gas ranges or water heaters.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that results from burning fuel, be it gas, wood, coal, or oil. Exposure to carbon monoxide can be deadly, particularly in high doses or over a prolonged period. Since it is virtually undetectable by the senses, it has earned the monicker, “the silent killer.”

Fortunately, homeowners can take steps to protect themselves and their families against carbon monoxide leaks. The first step is to install carbon monoxide detectors throughout the home and test them regularly to ensure proper function. Next, homeowners should have their furnaces and other fuel-burning appliances routinely serviced by a qualified professional. 

And finally, homeowners must be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and shortness of breath. If anyone in the house has these symptoms, everyone (including pets) should evacuate immediately and call their local emergency services. They should also seek medical attention if the symptoms persist after leaving the house.

Mold Infestation

moldThe next HVAC issue to be on the lookout for is mold growth. Mold can take hold inside the home if the system isn’t properly removing moisture from the indoor air. But mold can also develop inside the HVAC unit itself. Air conditioners and some types of furnaces extract water vapor from the air by condensing it into liquid and draining it away. This can cause mold to grow in the condensate drain pan, drain line, or evaporator coils (particularly if they’re dirty). The moisture inside the units can also spread into the air ducts causing mold contamination and sending spores into the home.

While not quite as dangerous as carbon monoxide, mold can cause both acute and long-term illnesses, from respiratory irritation and allergy symptoms to infections in the lungs, so it is a very real threat to the health of everyone in the home. Fortunately, it’s much easier to detect than CO. If homeowners notice a persistent musty odor in the house, they likely have a mold infestation.

To prevent mold growth, homeowners can have their HVAC system inspected and cleaned as part of annual maintenance to ensure that the condensate is draining properly and moisture isn’t clinging to dirty coils or ducts. In some homes, investing in a whole-home dehumidifier may also be a good idea to keep moisture levels down.

Overheating Furnace

Another frightening problem that’s all too common is an overheating furnace. A furnace can overheat due to poor airflow, like from a clogged air filter, dirt and dust on internal components such as coils or the blower motor, and mechanical or electrical malfunctions. These issues hinder the unit’s ability to properly ventilate heat, resulting in overheating.

There are several dangers of an overheating furnace. Apart from damaging the unit to the point that it may need to be replaced, overheating can cause stress cracks in the heat exchanger, which may allow carbon monoxide to leak out into the home. Overheating can also cause a furnace fire, which can spread quickly to the rest of the house or release smoke and toxic fumes into the air ducts.

The best ways to prevent furnace fires and the other risks associated with an overheating furnace are to replace their air filters regularly (every three months is a good baseline for most homes) and to schedule regular furnace maintenance with a professional. 

It also pays to know the signs of an overheating furnace. A slight burning smell is normal when the system is first turned on for the season, but if it persists, it likely indicates overheating. A humming noise from the unit usually means the blower motor is straining against poor airflow or a mechanical fault. If the system frequently turns off or trips the breaker, it may be a thermocouple or limit switch shutting off the unit due to overheating. If homeowners notice these signs, they should immediately turn off the system and call their preferred HVAC service provider.

About Veteran Services

Veteran Services is a veteran-owned company serving Lakeville, MN residents and the surrounding areas for over 40 years. They offer financing, competitive pricing, and 24/7 emergency service. Call them today for furnace repair and tune-up services in Lakeville, MN.

Why Should You Get a Water Filtration System?

Reverse Osmosis Water Filter

The most popular type of water filtration system is a reverse osmosis system. Reverse osmosis water filters push the water through a membrane that removes pollutants, corrosive materials, and chemicals. Water filtration systems improve water’s taste and safety by purifying it through reverse osmosis. 

By installing a whole home water filtration system, homeowners can have deliciously clean and safe water directly from their tap. Some tap water contains harmful pollutants that can negatively impact health. Water filtration systems can help protect homeowners, their families, and the environment. 

Improve Taste and Remove Pollutants

save One of the main reasons people decide to get a water filtration system is that they don’t like the taste of their tap water. Many people notice that the chlorine used in the water processing plant can make water taste sour. A filtration system can be installed that neutralizes the taste of chemicals or metal to improve the taste of the water. 

A whole home water filtration system is not just beneficial for drinking. Bathing in purified water is also great for hair, nails, and skin. Homeowners can enjoy healthier skin, nails, hair, and great-tasting water by investing in a whole home water filtration system. 

Save Money

water Purchasing plastic water bottles is a waste of money, with clean and safe drinking water available at home with a water filtration system. By installing a water filtration system, homeowners can have delicious, safe water and save tons of money because they don’t have to buy bottled water anymore.  

Another benefit of filtering water is that it removes particles of contaminants in the water, such as heavy metals. Heavy metals and minerals found in the water could corrode the inside of the water pipes and lead to plumbing problems as well. Whole home water filtration systems protect the home’s plumbing. Less wear and tear on the plumbing appliances and pipes from corrosive materials found in tap water will save homeowners money in the long run. Cleaner water leads to more efficient plumbing performance and longer-lasting hardware because there is less of a risk of corrosion

It’s Better for the Environment

Not only does a water filtration system help save homeowners money, but it also helps the environment. Plastic bottles are one of the items that are amassing in landfills and polluting the oceans at an astronomical rate. As plastic water bottles break down in the water, microplastics are consumed by marine life. Switching from bottled water to a home water filtration system can save wildlife and help the environment. 

One more reason homeowners should ditch bottled water for good is that plastic bottles contain chemicals that are harmful if swallowed. When water bottles are heated up during the transportation process by sitting on hot trucks, the plastic can release harmful compounds into the water. Drinking water from plastic bottles can cause numerous health problems due to the inorganic compounds in the water from the plastic. 

About Veteran Services

Veteran Services is a veteran-owned plumbing, heating, and AC company serving Apple Valley, MN, and the surrounding areas. They provide competitive pricing, 24/7 services, and financing. Call them today for whole-home water filtration system installation and repair in Apple Valley, MN.