Hot water heaters are the unspoken heroes of the developed world. They provide such a warm comfort on days when you’re not feeling so great. The bad thing about these amazing inventions, is they don’t last forever. It’s not a fun day when you learn you need a new one. You don’t have to be a professional to know when to get your hot water heater replaced or fixed! There are simple things you can do to tell what’s wrong with your beloved water heater.
If you’re looking to replace your water heater, now may be the perfect time to consider switching to a tankless water heater. Ask our experts for more information about making the switch.
How Do You Know Your Hot Water Heater Needs Attention?
You know you need a new hot water heater when your old one starts to leak or doesn’t work as efficiently as it used to. A leaking water heater can also be a cause of damage, so it’s best to address this quickly! If your unit is more than 10 years old, it’s probably the culprit of your cold water. Newer hot water heaters are more energy-efficient, which means they’ll save you money on your utility bills if you want to upgrade an old one.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Hot Water Heater Tank?
It’s always a pain when your hot water heater goes out. You have to take cold showers until you can get it repaired or replaced, which is never fun. But how do you know if you should call a water heater maintenance company to repair your hot water heater or replace the whole tank?
There are a few things you need to take into consideration before making a decision on a new hot water heater installation or just a hot water heater repair.
- If it’s over 10 years old, it might be time for a replacement. Hot water heaters have a lifespan of about 10-15 years, so if yours is getting up there in age, it might be time for an upgrade. If you do upgrade, newer ones typically are energy savers and can save you on energy bills.
- Cost. If the repair is going to be more than half the cost of a new hot water heater, it’s probably not worth it to repair the old one. It’s better to just replace it and get a new one that will last for years to come.
- How Often You Use Hot Water. If you find yourself running out of hot water frequently, it might be time for a new hot water heater. A tankless water heater might be a good option for you if you’re constantly running out of hot water.
- If your hot water heater is still under warranty, it’s probably worth repairing rather than replacing. However, if your warranty has expired, it’s probably time to replace your hot water heater.
If you’re not sure whether to repair or replace your hot water heater, it’s always a good idea to give us a call! We can take a look at your problem and give an honest opinion that can help you figure out the best option for your needs and budget. We care for you like family and always provide insight for your based on your specific needs!
Veteran Services is a plumbing company focused on our customers. We are careful to protect your home while we work to ensure the job is done right the first time.
What Kind of Water Heater Should You Get?
There are a few different types of hot water heaters, each with its own unique benefits. Here’s a quick rundown of the most popular types so you can decide which one is right for your home:
- Gas Water Heaters: These are the most popular type in the United States. They’re relatively affordable and easy to maintain, and they can be used in homes that don’t have access to a natural gas line.
- Electric Water Heaters: These are often in homes where gas isn’t available. They’re also relatively affordable and easy to maintain, but they tend to be less efficient than gas models.
- Tankless Water Heaters: These are a newer option that is becoming increasingly popular. They’re more expensive than traditional models, but they’re also much more efficient. Tankless heaters heat water on demand, so you never have to worry about running out of hot water.
- Solar Water Heaters: These are a great option for homes that are looking for an environmentally friendly way to heat their water. Solar heaters use the sun’s energy to generate heat, so they’re completely free to operate once they’re installed. However, they can be expensive to install and may not be available in all areas.
When finding the best solution to your hot water heater repair needs, Veteran Services is always here to provide amazing customer service and honest, professional, and timely advice.